What is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
As a Raleigh, NC Bioidentical Hormones Doctor, Jennifer Yap, D.O. at BiofunctionalMed has helped numerous men and women in the Wake County and Raleigh, North Carolina areas to regain hormonal balance. Offering customized programs that address individual needs, many patients have been able to overcome the signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance, which are often synonymous with the symptoms of aging. Taking a patient-centered approach to wellness, Doctor Yap factors in patients’ individual challenges, lifestyles, medical history, and treatment preferences into her Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy plans. As a result of her dedicated care and attention, wide numbers of men and women have been able to obtain peak levels of health.
A decline in hormone production is a natural part of aging in both men and women. Although it typically starts in the 30’s, most people don’t feel the full effects of declining hormones until they are closer to middle age. For men, the first indication is often problems with sexual performance and feeling like they have no ambition. Women, who are typically more in-tune with their bodies due to the monthly menstrual cycle, may complain of mood swings, weight gain, and a lowered sex drive. The following are typical symptoms of hormone imbalance in both men and women:
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Anxiety, depression, and irritability
- Low libido
- Memory lapses and trouble concentrating
- Weight gain
- Insomnia and sleep apnea
- Lack of muscle tone
Regardless of your age, gender, or specific symptoms, you can find relief with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT).
Traditional Hormone Replacement Therapy
Because hormones affect so many functions of the human body, it may take you a while to realize that many of the uncomfortable symptoms you are experiencing are related. For example, you may receive individual prescriptions for frequent headaches or insomnia only to continue to struggle in other areas. This is because most traditional doctors treat symptoms without exploring the root cause. You become increasingly frustrated and discouraged as your doctor keeps missing the connection between your symptoms and hormone imbalance.
Some doctors may suggest synthetic hormone replacement therapy after other treatments fail to bring relief. Unfortunately, this may make your problems worse. Synthetic hormones are associated with several serious health conditions, including endometrial cancers, blood clots, heart attack, abnormal liver function, and pancreatitis. Additionally, they generally take longer for the body to accept and process. While the above complications are uncommon, many people do experience common side effects like nausea and muscle cramping. These can be bothersome enough for them to stop taking the synthetic hormones or prescription pills their doctors have given them.
How Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy is Different
The first major difference between Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy and synthetic hormones is that Bioidentical Hormones are created from natural plant based extracts. The natural hormones in these plants remain unchanged during the compounding process because they are nearly identical to the natural hormonal structure that exists in the human body. For most people on Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, the similar cellular structure means that the compound is metabolized in their body faster and easier. With their hormones in balance, men and women in the 30’s, 40’s, and beyond are able to enjoy renewed energy, better health, and a more positive outlook on life.
Bioidentical hormones are natural hormones identical to the hormones the body makes. Since they are identical to your own natural hormones, they will fit on your hormone receptors properly and thus they will function optimally. Synthetic hormones do not always do this correctly. There are many reports supporting the claim that Bioidentical hormones are safer and more effective than synthetic hormones.
Treating Specific Health Conditions with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
In addition to the relief of general symptoms associated with hormone decline, many holistic medical practitioners prescribe Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy to treat a variety of conditions that are ultimately related to a hormone imbalance, dominance or deficiency. These include:
- Adrenal fatigue: When your adrenal glands are working properly, they allow you to effectively manage the various stressors in your life and help build your immunity to common illnesses. However, high levels of stress, a poor diet, and other lifestyle factors can cause an imbalance that leads to chronically feeling fatigued. Optimized hormones allow the adrenal glands to function and peak efficiency and have been shown to reduce and even reverse the effects of adrenal fatigue in both men and women.
- Fibromyalgia: This condition, which happens when the brain receives faulty nerve signals, causes insomnia, fatigue, muscle pain, problems with concentration, irritable bowel syndrome, and decreased immunity to other illnesses. While the causes and specifics of fibromyalgia are still the subject of much speculation and study in the medical community, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Experts agree that optimizing hormones with Bioidentical Hormone Therapy can greatly reduce the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Thyroid disorders: The thyroid is located in your neck and controls every cell in your body. People experience many problems when it is underactive or overactive, including unplanned weight gain or loss, digestion issues, consistently feeling too hot or too cold, heart and liver function issues, high cholesterol, and decreased blood flow that can lead to anemia. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy has been found exceptionally effective at helping the body find and maintain proper thyroid hormone balance.
As a Raleigh, NC Bioidentical Hormones Doctor, Jennifer Yap, D.O. at BiofunctionalMed is happy to provide patients with detailed information, answer all questions, and discuss any concerns. She will listen carefully to the patients’ description of their symptoms, and she will then perform testing on hormone levels to determine imbalances. Upon finding imbalances, Doctor Yap will provide patients with a personalized Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy program that is designed to meet individual needs. Countless patients in Doctor Yap’s care have been able to use Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy to regain their health and improve their levels of wellness.
To learn more about obtaining a specialized Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy program, contact Raleigh, NC Bioidentical Hormones Doctor, Jennifer Yap, D.O. at BiofunctionalMed today to schedule a consultation!